The start of the path which occupies the trackbed of the former Penicuik Railway, near the site of Hawthornden Junction. The site of the Junction is now occupied by a new section of the A6094 Leadburn to Wallyford Road. 9th April, 2015. [Michael Laing]
Auchendinny station had a single platform which remains, although overgrown and in a poor state. The station master's house still stands. Immediately to the north of the station was a bowstring girder bridge over the River North Esk, followed by two short tunnels. Beyond these was a viaduct over the river. Adjacent to the station in 1956 were Harpersbrae Siding for J. Brown and Co, Eskmill Siding and Lowmill siding.
The River North Esk viewed from a bowstring bridge spanning the river near Auchendinny on the former branch-line from Hawthornden Junction to Penicuik, 4th September, 2005. [Michael Laing]
Opened as Rosslyn: 2nd July, 1872. Renamed Rosslyn Castle: 16th February, 1874. Closed: 10th September, 1951.
Rosslyn Castle Station had a single platform and a goods yard to the south. The platform and goods loading bank remain. In 1956 there were sidings for Dalmore Mill, and ICI Nobel's gunpowder works. A section of the line was enclosed within an artificial tunnel where it ran by the works in order to prevent sparks from igniting the explosives.
A horse seen by the former Penicuik Railway near the site of Rosslyn Castle Station, 4th September, 2005. [Michael Laing]